Wednesday, October 04, 2017

The fall garden

For some people, the fall garden signals a time of winding down, when they're done with growing and nearly done with harvesting.

These people have obviously not read any Eliot Coleman books! Duuuude. Stop reading this blog Right Now and check out Mr. Coleman's books. Okay, no; finish reading this blog first.

Hubby is a Coleman fan and while he's not quite gotten into the whole 4-season harvest thing completey, he has extended his growing season. He just planted spinach, choi sum, and other cool weather crops, for instance.

The garden may look a little yellow
the garden, looking west
looking south-west

and some plants are dying (the wussy summer ones)
the eggplant that has seen better days

but things are still very pretty
the south garden with squash and melons still holding on
okras are not that tasty but are sure beautiful

much like our chickens.
the chickens get our food scraps

And we're still harvesting a lot of goodies.

 I look forward to eating spinach well into January...or at least the mashe (even though I don't look forward to washing mashe). Plus, even if nothing came out of the garden by February, we have lots of canned and frozen beans and canned tomatoes to remind us of summer.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams